Saturday, December 03, 2011

Ya Ya Farm & Orchard Field Trip

In October we went on a field trip with our homeschool group to the Ya Ya Farm & Orchard.

The girls got to feed some horses and donkeys some carrots.

We got to go on a wagon ride around the orchard.

This nice lady gave a great presentation on honey bees.

The kids were very interested and listened carefully.

The yummy tent where we got to taste apple cider and apple cider donuts, yummo!

They grow many different varieties of apples there.

Can you see the pretty mountains in the background?

Interesting fact that I didn't know about. Instead of using scarecrows to scare away the birds, they now use CD's that they hang in the trees and the glare from the sun scares off the birds. If you look close you can see one of the CD's but there were lots hanging all over the trees. I found that very fascinating.

That contraption is what they use to make cider.

This man was explaining how to bob for apples.

And this mom decided to try it out. Ewwww! It looked as if those apples had been sitting in there for some time. Not the cleanest looking water. I can't believe she did that.
We had a lot of fun and I think we learned a lot that we didn't know when we got there.

No comments: