Wednesday, January 07, 2009

The Three Diabetic Musketeers

Here are some pictures of the three Type 1 Diabetics in our family taken while we were in Oklahoma. Jeff is Steve's sister Shelley's husband and he was diagnosed at age 24. His daughter Macie, our niece, was just diagnosed right before Christmas at age 17. And then Olivia was diagnosed at age 7 months. Jeff and Olivia are on insulin pumps and Macie is giving herself shots until she can get an insulin pump in 6 months. Aren't they cute?

Here they are checking their blood sugar before dinner. They have to poke their fingers with a lancet.
Then they put the blood on the strips in their meters. Notice that Olivia pretended to poke her finger but in this picture she is pretending to put blood from her toe on her meter. When she was little we did switch off checking her toes and fingers but don't do it anymore so I'm not sure why she wanted to do that.

Sucking the blood off their fingers. We wipe Olivia's blood off on a tissue normally but I guess some just suck it off, crazy kids.

Showing us their blood sugar numbers

Here were the actual results from a real test. For Olivia 80-200 is good for her because she is young but I think Jeff and Macie want to try and keep theirs in between 70-150, but this is difficult to do. As you get older they want you to have tighter control but as a young child that can be dangerous.

Olivia watching Macie give herself a shot of insulin after she ate.

Steve changing Olivia's pump site after her bath
I forgot to take a picture of Olivia and Jeff using their pumps to deliver insulin for the carbs they ate at dinner but this should give you some idea of what they were doing everyday while we were there.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wow, I thought Olivia was pricking her own finger! I was in awe.
I guess you can never get lazy as a diabetic. So much to keep track of.