Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Grandma Corban

She's gone. She passed away on October 1st. The fall was worse than I thought, she had actually broke her hip very badly where the only way to fix it would have been through surgery and she is not a candidate for surgery because of her health. So because the hospital could not do anything they sent her to a nursing home where she stayed for almost a week and then passed away. It was bittersweet. She had been suffering for quite some time and her health had declined a lot through these last years. Steve called me from the road and said if you want to talk to Grandma one last time you better call her. So I did, it was hard to understand her because she was on a lot of morphine. I told her I loved her and was praying for her. Olivia also got to tell her she loved her. Then they called us that night with the news. We are sad she's gone because we will miss her but she is not in pain anymore and she can breathe!!! She is a Christian so she will be in Heaven with her husband who passed away in his 50's. She was ready to go and as hard as it was for us to say goodbye we knew it was time. She was 83 years old. I wanted to share one of my favorite memories of her with you. I only knew her about 5 1/2 years and I only saw her when we would go visit in Oklahoma which is only about twice a year. So she had given us some money for Christmas a few years ago and I went to tell her thank you but I got really close to her face and in a very loud and slow voice said, "Thank you for the money!" She replied in her cute country accent, "I'm old honey, I'm not deaf." Everyone started laughing. It was very funny. For some reason I just figured she must be hard of hearing because of her age but boy was I wrong. We all still talk about that and laugh. Steve's mom gave Steve
and I some of her things to remember her by. I will treasure them. We love you Grandma and
will see you in Heaven.
The first time she met Audrey at Christmas 2006

With Olivia July 2006

With Olivia Thanksgiving 2005

The first time she met Olivia in March 2005

4 comments:

Sabrina said...

Dear Steve and Heather,

My condolences to you and your family for your recent loss. Your family will be in my thoughts during this difficult time.

Love, Sabrina & Matt Robison

Robin said...

I am sorry for your loss. -Robin

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry for your loss but glad she is with God.
Heather, reading this reminded me of working at the Hillsdale nursing home... remember that? My gosh, I hadn't thought of that in ages!

Heather said...

Oh my gosh Laura, I totally forgot that you worked at the nursing home too. Ha ha, those were good times.