Tuesday, December 18, 2007

My sick baby

Olivia got sick with some kind of stomach virus for the first time and she's almost 3. I was just telling someone a week or so ago that my kids have never thrown up and how nice that they haven't so far. I spoke too soon. Well, she actually did throw up when she was 7 months old the day before she was diagnosed with diabetes but that was because her blood sugar was extremely high and it was more like spit up because she was mostly just breastfeeding. Then I remember one time not too long after she was diagnosed (I think this had something to do with her blood sugar again) where she did it again but again she was breastfeeding mostly so it wasn't that bad. Well, this was bad but she only got sick twice and didn't wake up at all during the night so that was nice. She did have a fever early the next morning and now is having a few problems from the other end (sorry if this is too much info). This photo is of her passed out on the couch after getting sick the second time. Many of you know that this girl does not sleep hardly anywhere but in a quiet dark room, so this is odd for her because the t.v. was on, Audrey was babbling loudly, and Steve and I were talking. She was really sick and so sweet. I was sad that she was sick but she was acting so sweet that I enjoyed her sweetness. Make sense? Well, since then Steve got extremely sick as well and now I am just praying Audrey and I don't get it.

O.k. so I had to share this picture of Audrey. She is wearing overalls that my grandma Thompson made me when I was a little girl. Click on the picture to see the detail. This is the only outfit that I have that I wore when I was her age. So fun.
On the back right next to her bum cheeks she embroidered the words, "Dont' Spank" Hee hee, only a grandma would write that. I love it.
Please pray for Miss Audrey, she is involved in the Teddy study which is a study for kids with a higher risk of getting Type 1 diabetes. They are trying to find out what triggers kids to get this disease so we have to keep track of a lot of things as she grows. At Audrey's birth, the doctor took some of my cord blood and tested it and found out that Audrey has high risk genes for juvenille diabetes. To give you a good idea of her risk, children who do not have high risk genes still have a 1 in 300 chance of getting the disease. Because Audrey is related to Olivia that already increased her odds to a 1 in 20 chance of getting the disease. But because she has the high risk genes she now has a 1 in 7 chance of getting Type 1 diabetes. So in the study, we go in every 3 months and have her blood taken and tested to see if she is developing any antibodies. There are 3 antibodies and Olivia has 2 of them. These antibodies attacked Olivia's pancreas and killed her islet cells that produce insulin. Up until 3 months ago, Audrey's tests came back fine, but about 6 weeks ago we received the news that she has developed one of the antibodies. On the positive side, it is the most common of the 3 antibodies and in 75% of the children that develop this antibody it will go away on its own. We are praying that she is one of the 75%. We took her in today for her 15 month study visit and they drew her blood again. So in 4-6 weeks we will know if it went away or not. The nurse told me that sometimes it takes a few blood draws before it goes away if it's going to but that if it doesn't go away and she develops a second antibody then most likely she will get diabetes. I am trying to prepare myself in case she gets it so please pray that either way we will accept God's will for her and for us. I'll keep you updated on her results.

2 comments:

Andrea said...

Heather, Audrey is in our prayers, as are the rest of you. I have to say, though, your faith in all you have gone through so far is a beautiful testimony to God's sustaining love of His people. I trust that whatever God intends for you will be good and because He loves you. "O taste and see that the LORD is good: blessed is the man that trusteth in him." Psalm 34:8 You are truly blessed, Heather.

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness Heather... I had no idea she was at a higher risk. She will be in my prayers - and I'll also pray for peace for you and your hubby during this waiting time. Merry Christmas!