Thursday, May 03, 2007

Scared of the Dark, What do I do?

Olivia has become terrified of the dark. We bought a night light and now she is extremely scared of the shadows it creates. We started leaving her main light on in the room but she is still scared and points to everything and thinks it is a monster. The look of terror in her eyes when we leave the room is hard to deal with. We don't know what to do, Steve and I are at our wits end. PLEASEEEEEEEEEEE if you have any suggestions, please comment below. I know that I have more readers than those who comment regularly, so if you are a mom or dad and have been through this or if you remember what your mom and dad did for you as a child when you were scared please let me know. We reassure her over and over that there are no monsters and that mommy and daddy are right here in the house. We pray with her. It takes hours for her to fall asleep and we don't want to get in the habit of having her sleep with us plus we don't go to bed the same time she does. If we lay with her in her bed she stays awake and won't go to sleep. A few friends I've asked have not dealt with this with their kids so I'm stuck. What should I do? HELP!

3 comments:

striving... said...

You know what we did with Brisa was we got her a stuffed animal dog, told her that while she was sleeping he protected her. And also that God would protect her, say prayers and include that in there. Then the night light, and she doesn't have problems anymore. It worked for her. Good Luck. Also, they have those new night lights that put the color pics. on the wall when they are on and they go around, fish and such, maybe she could choose one of those to watch while she fell asleep.

Anonymous said...

Yea ... Camryn was afraid for a while. I took almost everything out that would create shadows and then I got a little lamp that has Disney characters that display on the wall (they come in every character and design now). Also, if you have a vent close to the curtains check to make sure it isn't blowing the curtains. That can scare them too.

Anonymous said...

You know Heather, I still think that Olivia is having a "separation anxiety" with you and Steve. She sees that Audrey isn't in her room and she thinks you all are with her, maybe. I didn't have that problem because the girls were together in the same room, I don't remember about Steve. But if you recall the shows with the Supernanny, she advised that you go in after 10 min. or so and pat her, don't say a word, just let her know you are there, and leave, go back in 10 min. or so again and again until she is reassured that you are there. I told Steve, I don't know what he told you, but since I was a little girl, I was always scared of the dark. I always had a little chiquaqua to sleep with me, until I got married. Always a dog in the bed with me. That was my friend.If you decided to put the girls together, it would take more than 1 time to see any effect, I believe. Just a thought. Has giving the blankie back helped???? We are praying for you and hope it is resolved soon. Steve mentioned today of putting a bed in there and him sleeping in there. What a deal. Why not put Audrey in there and not disrupt the whole deal.